Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, September 3, 2010

Ina Garten's Greek Panzanella Salad

This summer I have had an abundance of tomatoes and peppers.  So when I came across this recipe, I thought what a great way to use them!  I have made this almost every week since.  As usual, I am not strict about going by the recipe.  Some weeks I only had green bell peppers or vidalia onions.  It does not matter, use what you have!  I have added jalapeno for a kick.  However, I would say if you do not have feta, leave the cheese out.  I experimented with Parmesan (which I love) and it was not as good. I have also made it without bread, when I didn't feel like going to the store.  You could add capers or other herbs if you like!

GREEK PANZANELLA SALAD
Serves 6

Good olive oil
6 cups (1-inch cubes) French or Italian bread, fresh or day old
Kosher salt
1 hothouse cucumber (unpeeled)
1 red pepper, large-diced
1 yellow pepper, large-diced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, sliced in half-rounds
1/2 pound feta cheese, cubed
1/2 cup Calamata olives, pitted

FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the bread and sprinkle with salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until nicely browned.

2. Meanwhile, cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a small spoon. Discard the seeds and slice the cucumber 1/4 inch thick and place in a large bowl. Add the red pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes, and red onion.

3. Next, make the vinaigrette: Place the garlic, oregano, mustard, and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk together. Whisking constantly, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the pepper and taste for seasoning.

4. Add the feta, olives, and cooked bread cubes to the bowl with the salad and add the vinaigrette and toss lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment