Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bang Bang Shrimp

Tim and I have become obsessed with Bonefish Grill's Bang Bang Shrimp.  I decided to search for the recipe and try it at home.  I mean how hard can it be?  After finding several recipes, I combined what I liked best.  The first batch I made from a recipe that only dredged the shrimp in cornstarch before frying.  I was not pleased with results.  I changed the batter for the second batch and they were a success.  There is also a pre-made sauce you can order online but I have read some comments that it is too hot.  With the sauce below, you can make as hot as you like.  Is anyone else surprised that the sauce is mayonnaise based?  If you like Bang Bang I highly suggest trying this!
BONEFISH GRILL BANG BANG SHRIMP

2 pounds peeled and deveined jumbo or large shrimp
1 teaspoons salt
2 well beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
oil for deep frying

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
3 drops Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (or to taste)

Sprinkle shrimp with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; let stand at room temperature for 12 minutes. Combine eggs, milk, cornmeal, flour, baking powder in mixing bowl; mix until smooth.

Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F. Add batter to the bowl with shrimp; stir till the shrimp is well coated with batter. Drop shrimp in the deep fryer and fry till golden brown (about 3 minutes).

In a separate bowl or a large zip lock bag,mix together mayonnaise and chilli sauces. Drop the fried shrimp in and stir till all the shrimp is coated with the sauce.

Garnish with fresh green or red hot peppers, scallions and serve over lettuce with a side of extra Bang Bang Sauce for dipping.

1 comment: