Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, June 4, 2012

Easy Sauteed Kale

Kale has become my new fav veg.  Although I am a failure at making the chips, I have mastered another version ( its actually super easy ).  My good friend Valerie introduced me Glory bagged greens years ago for turnips or collards. It is so much easier that the process of cleaning and cutting at home.  Most importantly, they do not have that weird "bag smell" bagged lettuce has!   Now I have found they sell Kale as well! Bring them home and give them a quick rinse, you are good to go! Their website also shows the sell Rutabagas.  I love a Rutabaga but I never cook them.  Call me lazy but I would if my store sold Glory's.


I started with Bobby Flay's recipe and added a few ingredients


  • 1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    2 garlic cloves, finely sliced ( I use as much as I like depending on size of cloves)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or whatever you have such as balsamic


  • Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sautee onions to preferred color.
  • Add crushed red pepper flakes, if using, and let them sizzle a bit in the oil. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored.  Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine.

  • Cover and cook for 5 minutes.

  • Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all (most) the liquid has evaporated. I like the kale to still remain bright-ish green.

  • Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.  So, so good, easy and good for you!  Enjoy!

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment